There are plenty of things you can do to save the day.
Instead of lying down and surrendering, you can fight back with a smile. Show that bad day who’s the boss.
Use these tips to make the most of a bad day:
- Set reasonable goals for the remainder of the day. It’s okay that your day has been awful so far. There’s still time to salvage it. Take a look at the amount of time you have left in the day and re-evaluate how you’re going to spend that time. Throw your previous plans in the bin and start over.
- Have fun with it. It can help to just laugh about how poorly things are going. Decide that you’re going to persevere even if the rest of the world seems to be against you.
- Make a gratitude list. When life hands you a bad day, take a few minutes and remember that not everything in your life is bad. There are many things you can allow yourself to feel grateful for. Make a quick mental list of everything in your life that’s positive. You’ll feel better.
- End on a positive note. Give yourself a treat at the end of the day. You could have your favorite dinner. Watch your favorite movie. Hang out with a friend. Have something planned that you can look forward to at the end of your bad day!
- Find a way to laugh. Watch a funny video. Talk with your funniest friend. Find a way to have a genuine laugh, and your day will be a little less painful. Laughing is a quick way to change how you feel.
- Get outside for a bit. Give yourself a break and get some fresh air. Go for a walk or sit and listen to the birds. Feel the wind and sun on your face. This can be an effective way to change your perspective.
- Sing or dance. Singing and dancing can lift your mood and make you smile. Turn on your favourite song and join in. How can you feel bad about your day when you’re singing and dancing? Give it a try and watch how it makes you smile.
- Sweat. Work out some of your frustrations by working up a good sweat. You’ll also relieve some of your stress. A quick run, trip to the gym, or walk up a steep hill can help you make the most of what remains of your day.
- Do something nice for someone else. When all else fails, put your attention on someone else. Look around for someone you can help in some small way. It’s a good diversion from your challenges, you’ll feel good about yourself, and you’ll also brighten someone’s day.
A bad day isn’t necessarily a lost day. You can make the most of the situation. You might have to alter your plans, but it’s possible to still have a productive day. Do your best and remember that tomorrow is another day. Whatever time you lost can be made up. Whatever happiness you miss can be experienced another day.
Bad days happen, but you can choose to rise above them. Take a deep breath and do your best. Tomorrow is on the way.